International Standards Research
Research on International Standards aims to establish a support system to facilitate domestic implementation of standards and recommended practices adopted by the Convention on International Civil Aviation and its annexes. It also supports responses to international aviation safety cooperation and the Universal Safety Oversight Audit Program (USOAP-CMA).
Current Status and Necessity
Analyzes the effects of the enactment or amendment of international standards on existing domestic standards (including laws and regulations) as well as on the industry, and identifies what has been affected and what has not.
To identify and reflect changes that have been made to existing domestic standards by the enactment or amendment of international standards
Grounds for Execution
- Article 135 (8)(Entrustment and Delegation of Authority)
In accordance with the Presidential decree, the Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport entrusts the following affairs to the Korea Institute of Aviation Safety Technology under the Act or to aviation-related institutes and organizations.
1. Research work to establish aircraft technology standards, flight rules, handling procedures for hazardous materials, and operational technology standards under Article 19, Article 67, Article 70, and Article 77, in accordance with the standards and recommended practices adopted by the 「Convention on International Civil Aviation」 and its annexes
- Article 6 (4)(Businesses)
Article 6(Businesses) The Institute shall perform the following businesses in order to achieve its purpose under Article 1.
4. Development of aviation accident prevention technology and research on international standardization technology for aviation safety
Overview of Duties
Analysis of Enactment and Amendment of International Standards, including International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex and Procedure for Air Navigation Service (PANS)
- 1Monitor enactment and amendment of international standards → Preliminarily analyze the details of the enactment and amendment → Compare the details with domestic standards (including laws and regulations) → Formulate opinions regarding the review results and respond to relevant feedback
Necessity of enactment and amendment of domestic laws and regulations
- 1Analyze the current status of domestic laws and regulations
- 2Conduct gap analysis, analyze the necessity of enactment and amendment
- 3Set the directions for the amendment
Evaluation and Analysis of Effects of Changes to Domestic and International Standards
- 1Analyze the industrial impact and ripple effects of changes to domestic and international standards on domestic airlines and aircraft producers
Development of Measures for Domestic Application
- 1Investigate the actual conditions of relevant domestic institutes and systems; gather opinions; come up with a new system or scheme, or an altered system
- 2Consider and establish detailed application plans
Trend Analysis of Advanced and Neighboring Countries and Establishment of Cooperative Ties
- 1Understand the current developments regarding the adoption of the latest technologies
- 2Establish cooperative ties through international joint research
International Standardization of Best Domestic Practices
- 1Develop and propose to the international community items that can be standardized
- 2Make the case for the necessity of the items and continue to respond
- 3State opinions by participating in ICAO Workshops and working groups